Sunday, December 30, 2012

One More Week!

Hey everyone!

I'm leaving for California in just one week! I can't believe how quickly the time has gone by. It feels like just yesterday I was trying to think of a way to convince my parents to let me apply. :)  I've had such a great Christmas Break being able to relax and spend time with my family and friends, but I am so ready for this adventure to begin. I'm extremely excited, but I'm definitely nervous as well. Such a mix of emotions!

My passport!

My parents are flying down to San Diego with me to see me off and attend the Bon Voyage reception for family members on the ship before we leave. Students aren't allowed to go to the reception due to limited space, so they'll actually get to see the inside of the ship before I do!


My biggest stress right now is trying to decide how and what to pack. We're allowed to take two pieces of luggage and a carry-on item. I'm going to bring two large, rolling duffle bags and a backpack. Fitting what I need for four months of my life into such a small amount of space has proven to be quite a challenge so far, especially since I need to pack for both winter and summer weather. Below is a picture of what my living room currently looks like as I'm trying to decide what I really need to bring. It's a struggle! I've had quite a few people ask me what I'm packing and how I'm choosing what to take. Once I make my final decisions I might make a post with my official "packing list" for those that are interested. :)




I thought it would be a good idea to order some currency from each of the countries ahead of time so that I don't have to worry about finding a place to get some as soon as we arrive in each port. There were a few we weren't able to order, but here is a picture of currency from 8 of the countries I'll be going to. For some reason, money from other countries is very fascinating to me!




I have greatly appreciated everyone's words of encouragement as I get closer to embarking, so thank you all for keeping me in your thoughts! This blog will definitely get more exciting once the voyage actually begins. I won't have very much global internet access, but I will have an email account on the "ship internet" that I'll be able to update this blog from. If you'd like to keep in touch with me while I'm gone, feel free to ask for my email address! That, and this blog, will be my only forms of communication for these four months.

Thanks again!

"Adventure is worthwhile." 

- Amelia Earhart 

No comments:

Post a Comment