Monday, January 7, 2013

Hello from California!

I made it to San Diego with my parents last night and I can't believe that I will be boarding the ship in just two days! It has finally started to sink in that this is actually happening and I am incredibly excited. :)


I was actually able to get everything I need packed into 2 duffel-bags and a backpack. I had to put back almost everything that I thought would be "fun to have," and just stick with things that I absolutely need. There really isn't a whole lot of room in those bags! It was difficult, and we even had to do some re-packing in the hotel room this afternoon, but I feel ready to go! The only thing I wasn't able to fit is a pillow. I'm going to try and just carry that onto the bus with me.

The ship is actually embarking from Ensenada, Mexico, not San Diego. All of the students take buses from the Hilton Bay Front Hotel down to Ensenada where we will board the ship! I'm on the first bus, which leaves at 7 a.m. It will be an early morning, but I can't wait!

For those of you that mentioned wanting to see my final packing list, here it is! :)

Sandals (1 pair)
Flip-flops (1 pair)
Slippers (1 pair)
Tennis Shoes (2 pairs - 1 to ruin)
Nice Flats (1 pair)
Airwalks  (1 pair)
Sweatshirt (1 - I'm planning to buy a Semester at Sea one too)
Long Sleeve Shirts (5)
T-Shirts (6)
Workout Shirts (2)
Cami's (6)
Nice Short Sleeve Shirts (5)
Coat (1)
Cover-Ups for layering (4) (2 short sleeve, 2 long-sleeve)
Tank-Tops (5)
Jeans (3)
Jean Shorts (2)
Sweatpants (1)
PJ Pants (1)
Athletic Shorts (2)
Workout Pants (2)
Bras (8) (4 sport, 2 regular, 1 strapless)
Underwear (15 pairs)
Leggings/Tights (4 pairs)
Long Skirts (2)
Long Dresses (3)
Nice Dress (1 - for the Ambassador's Ball)
Scarf (1)
Gloves (1 pair)
Socks (10 pairs)
Swimsuits (2)
Beach Cover-Ups (2)
Nikon CoolPix P150 Camera
Canon Powershot Elph 110 HS
Camera cases, chargers, and 2 extra batteries for each
Memory Cards (3 16GB and 2 8GB)
Flash Drives (3 8GB and 2 16GB)
Outlet Adapters (1 European, 1 Universal)
All-In-One Outlet Adapter and Voltage Converter
Earphones (4 pairs)
iPod and Charger
DVD Travel Case (24 DVDs - movies and Criminal Minds) :)
Batteries (30 AA, 10 AAA, 4D)
Flashlight
Blanket
Bed Sheet (for homestays)
Binoculars
Cards (2 decks of playing cards, spoons and mad gab)
Around the World Game
iPhone and 2 Chargers
Laptop, Laptop Case and Charger
Travel Laundry Detergent (I will be doing laundry in the sink sometimes)
Shout Color Catchers
Shout Swipe and Go Stain Removers
Sleeping Mask
Earplugs
Kleenex
Water Bottles (1 with filter, 1 without)
Gum (18 packs)
Water Flavor Packs (3 boxes)
Clif Energy Bars (1 box)
Kashi Bars (2 boxes)
Nut Mix Packages (1 box)
Protein Bars (1 box)
Peanut Butter (All food had to be packaged and sealed in individual portions. :/ But I was able to find some to-go packs! Thank goodness! I am addicted to peanut butter)
Dove Peanut Butter Chocolate (1 bag)
Beach Towel
Dry-Fast Travel Hair Towel
Small Purses (2)
Passport Holder (1)
Passport
Yellow Fever Card
Empty Duffle Bag (for homestays and collecting things)
Books to read (2)
Journals (3 - I plan on writing a lot!)
Planner
Textbooks (4)
Notebooks (4)
Folders (5)
Coloring Books (2 - coloring is a good stress relief)
Twistable Crayons (24 pack)
Colored Pencils (24 pack)
Magnets (50 - The walls in our rooms are magnetic)
Pencils (20)
Pens (10)
Sharpies (4)
Highlighters (5)
Sticky Note Pad
Note Cards (1 Pack)
Glue Stick
Whiteout
Wallet
Foreign Currency
150 $1 Bills (It's good to have a lot of these)
Bath Sponge
Q-Tips (100)
Make-Up (4 month supply - foundation, powder, blush, eyeliner, etc.)
Travel Mirror
Hygiene Wipes (2 packs)
Oil-Absorbing Sheets (5 packs - These are life-savers)
Dove Soap (4 bars)
Cotton Balls (50)
Toothbrushes (4)
Toothpaste (2)
Deodorant (2)
Feminine Products
Hair Ties (30)
Bobby Pins (40)
Headbands (10)
Chapstick (10)
Lotion (2 bottles)
Hand Sanitizer (1 big, 2 travel size)
Body Wash (1 bottle)
Shampoo (2 bottles)
Conditioner (1 bottle)
Manicure Set (nail clippers, nail file, tweezers)
Hair Gel
Hair Brushes (2)
Perfume (1 small bottle)
Hair Straightener
Razor and Razor Heads
Sunscreen (2 6 oz. bottles)
Bug Spray (1 6 oz bottle)
Gifts for children at schools and orphanages I visit (sticker sheets, punching balloons, smarties and slinkies)
Extra Pillow
Umbrella
Band-aids (1 box)
Antibiotic Cream
Vitamin C (1 bottle with 100)
Zicam (2 bottles with 25 each)
Pepto Bismol (80 pills)
Mucinex D (1 box)
Ibuprofen (200 pills)
Dramamine (16 pills)
Allergy Relief (100 pills)
Anti-Malaria Medication (58 pills)
Cipro (Anti-Diarrhea Medication)
Sea-Sick Patches (10)
Imodium (40 pills)
Regular Prescription Medicines

Yes, I fit all of that into 2 bags and a backpack! I have no idea how I did it. I have my mom and sister to thank for all of the help. We re-packed so many times and I had to put back at least half of what I would have liked to take. I'm sure there are still some things I'm forgetting, but I can pick stuff up along the way if I need to!

The ship, the MV Explorer,  is in San Diego right now for the parents reception this evening, so we walked down to the port to see it earlier this afternoon. It was very exciting to finally get to see it in person! I can't believe that it's soon going to become my home for the next four months. It has all finally started to set in and I think I freak out a little more with each minute that passes. Here are a few pictures we took of the ship!






My parents are going to the reception on the ship tonight, and I cannot wait to hear what they have to say! It's getting so close! :)

3 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to following your blog all semester! I am impressed that you fit all that stuff in your bags :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you fit that all into your bags! Can't wait to follow along with you on your journey! Have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I've been reading the weblog a few of days and merely desired to say that the way with words is best notch. All the ideal.
    dublin transportation service
    san francisco school transportation

    ReplyDelete