Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Tokyo!

We got off the train in Tokyo around 11 p.m. on the 27th. A couple of girls that did not have a field lab that day took a train earlier than the rest of us so they could find a place to stay the night. When we met up with them, they told us they found a 24-hour internet cafe that would cost us each 16 dollars. If I had known that was going to be where I was staying, I honestly might not have gone. I was pretty nervous as we were walking there.

It is hard to even describe what the place looked like. It was called Man Boo Internet Comic Cafe if you feel like looking it up! The bottom floor/reception had a check-in desk and the rest of it was filled with shelves and shelves of Japanese comic books. Upstairs were the "rooms" all lined up in a long hallway that had other smaller halls off to the side. They were literally just cubicles with little sliding doors. Each cubicle had a computer, a TV, a very small safe, and a chair to "sleep" in. I am glad that we had a big group of people because I probably would not have felt self being there alone! But hey, it's all part of the experience I suppose. Haha. We did get free internet, and there were also a couple of complimentary drink vending machines. Here are a couple of pictures so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about.


This is half of the "reception" area. You can see part of the desk and like 1/8 the amount of shelves that were down there.


This is the main hallway where all of the "rooms" were. It was so dark!


This was my "room"..... Trust me, I didn't sleep.


These were the free drink machines. Kaitlynn was obviously feeling a little unsure at this point.

After we checked in, we looked around for a little bit and decided we wanted to spent the least amount of time in there as possible, so around 1 in the morning we went out and found a karaoke building! That was a lot of fun! I wish I would have taken actual pictures, but I only took video with my camera. Hopefully I can get some from my friends and share them later. We were there until about 3 a.m and then decided we should probably try and get some sleep.
I honestly don't think I slept more than an hour that night. Before we checked out at 8:30, I got a lot of coffee from the drink machine so that I would at least have some energy for the day! Overall, I would not choose to stay there ever again, but it's kind of cool to say I did it!

Our first stop of the day was a post office with an ATM and then McDonald's for breakfast. Yes, we went to McDonald's in Tokyo. For some reason it sounded really good to us after the night that we had. Then for the rest of the day we mainly looked around at the shops, ate some amazing food, and bought some souvenirs. I got some Japanese snacks, a few gifts for my family, a Japan key chain (I decided I want a key chain from every country), some postcards, some bags of the most amazing tea I have ever had in my life, and a few other random things! Here are a few pictures from the day. :)







Around 5 in the evening, those of us that were going back to the ship to travel to Kobe left the rest of the group and went to the station to get back Yokohama. As we were leaving the station to go back to the ship, I realized that I left my bag with everything I had bought on the train! Yep, I was that stupid. I tried to explain to the information booth what had happened. They understood the words "lost," "bag," and "train" so I think they knew what I was talking about. They made some phone calls, but had no luck in finding my bag. They were extremely nice though (everyone is in Japan) and I could tell they felt really bad about not being able to find it. They gave me a paper with numbers for the different stations, but that didn't end up being very helpful since I can't speak Japanese.

I had given up on finding it when we got back to the port terminal. There, by some amazing chance, we ran into a group of 4 tour guides that spoke English. I told them my story and they were eager to help. They took the paper with the numbers for the different stations and made some calls. After several different phone calls, they spoke with someone that had my bag at Yokohama station. (That is the main station in Yokohama, a short distance from the station closest to the ship.) Two of the tour guides actually offered to take me to the station by our ship, get on the train to go to Yokohama station with me to get by bag, and then bring me back to the port so that I could get back on the ship in time. Luckily, I had about 3 hours before I had to be back. I could not believe how kind they were being! It was honestly amazing. They got me there and back in under 45 minutes. :) There is no way that I should have ever seen that bag again. It was seriously incredible. They were the nicest people I have ever met in my life! They even gave me some candy and other gifts on the way to the station and would not take anything in return for those or for helping me. One of them even gave me his email address and wants me to email him from the different ports. :) Amazing.

When I got back on the ship, I was so tired and slept for a good 11 hours straight. Today was a very relaxing day. Since there aren't many people on the ship we had a fancy dinner tonight and I got to sit at the captain's table! It was so much fun! We get into Kobe tomorrow morning and my plan is still to go to Hiroshima! I can't wait!



No comments:

Post a Comment